A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, January 22, 2015

It Happened at the Fair - Deeanne Gist

I've read quite a few of this author's books in the past and I'm usually pleased with what I read.  This one's been on my Kindle for a while, not because I've been avoiding it, but because I have SO much to read it just got lost in the shuffle.

Cullen isn't really cut out for a farmer's life.  The crops make his face swell up, but he comes from a long line of farmers and feels that he needs to follow in those footsteps.  He even has a fiance all lined up in his childhood friend.  Cullen has a talent for creating inventions and mechanical things, so his father signs him up to have an exhibit at Chicago's World Fair.  Cullen doesn't want to do it, but his father has laid out a lot of money that he can't get back.  Feeling he has no choice, Cullen heads to Chicago for the next six months.

Della has a close call at the opening ceremonies for the fair and meets up with Cullen. Her father has drilled into her head to never trust any man, so she gets away as fast as she can.  She's also working at the fair, but she's there teaching the deaf children how to lip-read. Cullen has problems hearing, especially in his noisy machinery building, and asks for her help.  She's skeptical at first, but the more time they spend together, the more she feels drawn to this brawny man.

I loved this book so much, I read it in two sittings.  I love this author's writing style, and the story line was intriguing.  I really enjoyed all the pictures that were in there, and it sparked an interest in me for the World's Fair.  The author's note at the end is pretty long, but it needed to be.  I was almost sad when it was over.  There's a glimpse of the characters from Fair Play in there if you pay attention, but this is a stand alone book that I recommend.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment