A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

By the Light of the Silvery Moon - Tricia Goyer

I hesitate to pick up a book like this.  Knowing ahead of time that this book takes place on the Titanic, I couldn't help but wonder if I was going to enjoy the book or end up in tears. But since I've read a few of Goyer's books in the past and liked them, I decided to give this one a shot.

Amelia has a heart for others.  She's not wealthy, but there's a man across the Atlantic waiting to see if they can build a relationship.  When Amelia sees the opportunity to help a ragged man board the Titanic, she doesn't hesitate.  She sees something in his eyes that tells her there's much more to his story than the poor, dirty man who was trying to sneak on board the great ship.

Quentin is the prodigal son whose poor decisions in life have led him to the place where he's beaten and dragged off the Titanic.  When he was young, his mother died tragically, and he feels the blame is his.  He's been on the run since then, taking his inheritance before his father dies and trying to make his own way in the world. When everything is taken from him, he sinks down to the point where he tries to sneak onto the Titanic.

Amelia and Quentin are intrigued by each other, but when Amelia finds out that Quentin's father and brother are on board, she realizes that it's the hand of God.  Quentin wants to just hide, but Amelia pushes him to face things he's avoided for years.  He tries to keep his distance from her initially, he feels that he will only ruin her life, but he can't help but be drawn to the woman who doesn't only make him rethink his life but also has her own internal beauty.

While I was satisfied at the ending, I did have my moments of sadness.  I mean, it is the story of the Titanic, and the author does a nice job describing the event.  The anticipation was horrible for me.  I kept noting which day I was reading and knowing I was getting closer and closer to that fateful night.  Thankfully it was close to the end and didn't take up so much of the book that you end up dwelling on that sadness for much of the book.  In the end, you get a bittersweet happy ending, but I believe overall it was a well written book that's definitely worth reading.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment