A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, August 7, 2014

A Reluctant Courtship (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #3) - Laurie Alice Eakes

This is the third book in this series.  The first two books are A Necessary Deception and A Flight of Fancy.

Honore hasn't had the best of luck when it comes to choosing men.  First, she was in love with a traitor and then a murderer!  Though she has repented of her behavior, she feels that her family and acquaintances are still punishing her for her mistakes.  The one person that really seemed to love her, her father, is dead.  Honore meets the man her father had picked out to be her husband in a dramatic fashion, but he's come to break off the deal. He seems to have no intention of marrying someone like her.

Meric is a man who now finds himself in the position of an English lord.  He's interested in what it can do for his family in America, but he also wants to clear his father's name. Associating with Honore could jeopardize everything he's been working toward. Someone is helping Frenchmen escape and he's already under suspicion.  While he wants to be with Honore, her reputation won't help his cause to provide for his family.

When Honore's brother arrives at the family home, it becomes clear to her that she has to do something to help herself.  Eventually, she determines the only way she can be with Meric is to solve the mystery to clear his father's name.  She doesn't give Meric much choice in the matter.

This was a good book.  Honore seems to be a writer, but her pursuits are overshadowed as she tries to understand where she belongs and how she really feels about Meric.  Most times, you can either read a series out of order, or you can't.  In this case, I would recommend that if you're going to read all 3, make sure you read the first two before this one.  You get a better understanding of what's happened to Honore and why she acts and feels the way she does.  Otherwise you can read it alone.

I enjoyed this series and was glad to finally get the time to finish it up.  I've got this author's most recent release, A Lady's Honor, on my watch list and look forward to reading more. Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment