A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Skip Rock Shallows - Jan Watson

The summary for this book interested me, so I picked it up.  As far as I can tell, this is my first read from this author.

Lilly has come to Skip Rock to take over position as the doctor for the mining town.  The men are wary of her at first, as with all books about early female doctors, and she has to earn the trust of the town.  It seems that once she finds her place, she isn't in a rush to leave.  Her fiance from Boston arrives to check on her, but she begins to question her love for him.

Tern is in Skip Rock undercover to check on conditions in the mine and make sure that the men are being treated fairly.  He recognizes Lilly from a circumstance in their past where their lives crossed in an unfortunate manner.  While Tern has loved Lilly all his life, he doesn't feel like she could ever forgive him or have any sort of feelings for him.

This book was an interesting read, but I'm not sure that it was as good as it could have been.  There were so few interactions between Tern and Lilly that I wondered how she so easily fell in love with him.  Perhaps it was implied in some of the memories they had from the past, but I don't think it was explained well enough to make the relationship make sense.  I also can appreciate the author's use of appropriate terminology for the time period, but most of the odd words weren't explained.  It seemed like the circumstance in the past that brought them together in the first place was more of an afterthought than it was a part of why they were drawn to each other.

This is part of a series, but it isn't labeled as such.  The next book in the series, Tattler's Branch, just came out at the end of August and is the continuation of Lilly's story.  I happened to notice that by accident.  Since it is a continuation of the story and I feel like I got the happy ending I needed in Skip Rock Shallows, I have made the decision to end my journey with Lilly and Tern here.  Decent Book - just not one of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment