A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Rock Harbor Search and Rescue - Colleen Coble

In the past, I have read many of Colleen Coble's books.  I saw this one aimed at a younger crowd and decided to give it a shot.  My daughter read it as well.

Having read the Rock Harbor series, I was pleased to see many characters that I had read about in the past including Bree.  She is the head of the Search and Rescue team in Rock Harbor and influences Emily, Naomi's stepdaughter.  Since this book is aimed for the younger crowd, it made sense to make it about Emily and a great choice.

Emily is 14 and loves to create jewelry.  Since being rescued in the forest by Bree's dog, Samson, she has also been wanting to have a puppy of her own to train for SAR.  She helps out Naomi from time to time and feels like she's ready.  After her parents tell her she can have the puppy she desires once she has the money, she decides to sell some of her jewelry pieces at a festival.  While watching a neighboring booth for a while, one of the lady's more expensive pieces goes missing and it seems like most everyone is ready to blame Emily.  Even her own father doubts her innocence and forces her to hand over her puppy money to the lady.

Poor Emily has so much to deal with.  Her birth mother is due to get out of prison early, everyone thinks she is a thief, and her former best friend is being mean to her every chance she gets.  Emily is determined to prove her innocence, but she only has limited time to get together the money before the puppy is scheduled to be sold.  It's up to her and her best friend, Olivia, to find the true culprit.

I think this was a good read and I enjoyed it.  It had me guessing as to the motive and how Emily would be able to find the culprit and clear her name.  It is listed as ages 8 and up, but as the mother of a 9 and almost 11-year-old, I would up that to at least 10 years old.  I base that on the length and the depth of the writing.  Overall, I was glad I read it and look forward to reading the next one, Rock Harbor Search and Rescue: Lost and Found, which is due out October 8.  Good Book!

My daughter's opinion: " I really liked this book.  I was on the edge of my seat or area the whole time. I read it before my mom so HA!  PEACE!"


No comments:

Post a Comment