A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Summer at Willow Lake - Susan Wiggs

This was another one of the books that I dusted off from the bottom of my Kindle.  I made it to 30% before I gave up.

Olivia has an awful track record with men.  After her third major relationship falls through, she takes a job from her grandmother to make over the summer camp property that her family owns.  The camp has been closed for 9 years and is going to take a lot of work.  Olivia didn't have that great of a childhood and really doesn't want to return, but the break up of her latest relationship convinces her.

The camp needs some work done and the only firm in the area is run by the boy who broke her heart when she was a teenager.  She gets stuck up a pole when he gets there and then he doesn't remember who she is.

And this is about where I stopped.  There was a lot of time travel in this one and it just got confusing.  We went back in time with Olivia a few times.  Then we went back with her father.  Oh yeah and we went back in time with Connor (the heartbreaker) as well.  There was some language in there, but it wasn't too much.  There were just too many time warps for me and after a while I just wanted to read what was going on now instead of what had happened in the past.  I didn't think the characters were developed enough for the flashbacks.  Just because Olivia found a cuff link in a trophy didn't mean that I wanted to read a whole chapter about how it got there.

I was almost forcing myself to get to 30%.  I just kept hoping that the author would just get on with the story.  Didn't happen and I just gave up.  Not up my alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment