A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Fire Dance - Delle Jacobs

I finished The Mudlark about a week ago and so I was looking forward to reading this one as well.  The first one was pretty clean.  This one was a bit different.

Melisande's cruel father has just died.  There are Normans at her doorstep and she willingly gives the land over to them by telling the knights to surrender without a fight.  She is fighting her own demons and has her own secrets, so she hides herself away from Alain, who is supposed to marry her to cement his claim to the area.

Melisande decides to pose as a servant, but Alain eventually figures that out.  She also has horrible nightmares where she ends up "walking" and then has no idea what has happened when she wakes up in the morning.  There's also the issue of the arsenic-lined cloak of doom.  That seemed too weird for me.  Apparently it is indestructible as well.

I really was planning on finishing this one.  I skimmed over the sex part and also the part where she wonders if something is wrong with him because he hasn't taken his husbandly duties to her knowledge.  In response, he has her grab his "stuff."  There seemed to also be a touch of rape in there.  Overall, there was just something about the book that bothered me.  It wasn't at all like The Mudlark and maybe my expectations prevented me from liking it more than I could have.  I gave up at 70%.  That's something for me because I normally would never get that far into a book and not at least finish it out of curiosity for the ending.  I'll probably skip this author in the future if I see more of her books up.

No comments:

Post a Comment