A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Ruby (Dakotah Treasures #1) - Lauraine Snelling

This is a second try for this author.  I wasn't real impressed with A Measure of Mercy but wanted to give her another chance.  I only made it to 30% before I gave up.

Ruby and her little sister, Opal, have left their comfortable home where they work for a caring, wealthy family.  Their father, who has been gone for a long time, has written and finally requested that they come and see him.  After their mother's death, they were dropped off at their grandmother's while he went to seek a fortune for them.

In his letter, he says that he is dying.  Opal doesn't remember him at all, so they endure a long, tiring trip to get out to Little Missouri and see him before he passes on.  And they get there just in time.  Their "inheritance" is a saloon/brothel, so Ruby has to deal with that.  She promises to take care of "the girls" before she realizes what they do, and then she wants to leave in a bad way.

She decides that she needs to turn the saloon into a hotel and wants to put her plans in motion and then sell the place.  She has to deal with Belle, the lady that was closest to her father and thinks that the Dove House should be hers.

This book was odd.  I didn't like the premise of it and there wasn't even a smidgeon of romance in there.  I don't mind books that don't have any in it, but usually with books like these, there is some in there and I guess that the expectation was just too much to overcome.  I just didn't like it.  I don't think I will be picking up any more of this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment