A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Secrets (The Michelli Family Series #1) - Kristen Heitzmann

It has been quite a while since I have read one of this author's books.  Quite a few years ago, I read Freefall.  I remember that book was pretty long, but it wasn't too bad.  This one sounded interesting so I gave it a try.

Rese is good at hiding any and all emotions.  If she happens to show one, she berates herself and determines to try again.  She doesn't want help with anything and accepting it is really hard for her.  She is good with wood and is restoring an old house to make it into a bed and breakfast.

Lance is on a mission from his Nonna.  She has had a stroke and has given him a mission to find out something about the family.  I never really understood what he was trying to find out.  After traveling to Italy, he ends up at the house that Rese is restoring.  To his surprise, there is a position available at the old family home as a chef and maid.  He takes both positions and proceeds to try and snoop a little here and there.

I only made it to about 16% before I gave up. I don't doubt that the story was probably good, but there was so much description and mystery that I just didn't want to keep going.  It was definitely on its way to being a long book.  There was a lot of the "eluding to an inner struggle" with Rese, but there wasn't really any explanations as to why she was acting the way she was.  In the end (or beginning) there was just too much verbiage for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment