A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 30, 2024

Festival for Spies - David St. John (E.Howard Hunt)

Ok, so this is a bit of a mess, so I'm going to start by talking about the book itself and then go on to the author. Because he became super interesting...

This is one of the picks from our Half Price Books journey. It attracted my attention because it looked weird, and the back cover was insane. Sexpionage? Festival of Virgins? $1? I’m in!

What I read was nothing like what I was expecting. The book was advertising itself as being written by a former CIA agent and had an advertisement for a James Bond book on the back cover (The Man with the Golden Gun wasn’t one of my favorite Roger Moore movies, but it was still pretty good).

Peter is supposed to be on vacation when he’s called back for an assignment in Hong Kong. The leader of Cambodia has left suddenly, and Peter needs to figure out why. The leader has his wife and sister-in-law living with him, and Peter gets to know the sister very well.

There are a lot of espionage and political tensions with the Chinese in this, and Peter’s life is in danger. He’s also got help from his brother-in-law and sort of from his contacts in town. They’re not as trustworthy, of course, but he knows what he’s getting into most of the time.

Now let's move on to the author. I honestly had no idea who this person was. I had so much trouble looking up the book on the internet (also I was on my phone, and I hate navigating on that), but eventually I came across the true author's name: E. Howard Hunt. Now, I'm not familiar with his name, but I've heard of his work. Namely Watergate. This is the man who was part of the Watergate burglaries and spent 33 months in prison. 

Another side of him is the author. He had five aliases he wrote under! I believe the book I found is the second in his Peter Ward series. I actually was pretty invested in this book. It wasn't full of sex, and it was well written. I really liked it and hope to track down some more of this man's work in the future. It doesn't look like his fiction has hit the digital market, which is a shame. He had some talent! Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment