A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, April 24, 2015

Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan - Melanie Dobson

This book intrigued me for the sole purpose that I've been to Mackinac Island many times growing up.  I added it to my watch list and snatched it up when it dropped in price.

Elena is trapped and all she wants is to be free.  Her family is having financial worries and since she's an only child, the responsibility falls to her to save the family by marrying well. Her mother even has the perfect candidate picked out.  Elena wants nothing to do with him, especially after she meets an intriguing young man while taking refuge in her favorite place: an old lighthouse.  What she doesn't realize is that the man her mother picked out and the man she met while looking at the stars are one and the same.

Chase knows ahead of time that he's going to have young ladies thrown in his path all summer, but he hears about one in particular and wishes to avoid her.  His family obligations stifle his real desire: to see more of the mysterious woman from the lighthouse. He wants to find someone who will love him for who he is, not for his money.  So he conceals his identity.

There are lots of near misses with these two, and you know eventually they're going to figure out who the other one is.  You know that Chase is going to be suspicious of every minute he's spent with Elena, and with each near miss, you're left on the edge of your seat.  I wasn't very happy with the way Chase treated Elena for a while, but it was understandable considering his past encounters with women after his fortune.  You're just hoping for that happy ending.

This book was a great little read.  It reminded me of the Hallmark movies where you have a cute little story with problems and obstacles, but in the end, love prevails.  I personally have had a rocky time reading books by this author, but lately, I've been enjoying what I'm reading.  It's always kind of fun to read about a place you know so well.  At the time of this review, the title is only $0.99, so I recommend picking it up if you want a happy ending and a sweet story.  Loved this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment