A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Annie's Stories (Ellis Island #2) - Cindy Thomson

This is the second book in the series.  The first book is Grace's Pictures.

Annie has had a rough past and wants more for her life.  She dreams of opening a library in honor of her father, but she's determined to do it herself.  Her life at the Hawkins House starts getting complicated when her cousin is set to arrive and a boarder at the house has problems with her new life in America.  Even with her troubles, she still has the stories her father left her and they're important to her.

Stephen is the postman who delivers the mail.  He's had money troubles for quite some time now and knows he needs to get his affairs in order if he wants to be able to provide for Annie.  He learns of the problems affecting the ladies at the Hawkins House and vows to do what he can to help.  His landlord operates a publishing house, and Stephen sees the chance to help Annie realize her dream.

I REALLY wanted to like this book.  I enjoyed reading the first book in the series, but was sorely disappointed with this story.  I disliked Annie's character.  She was so self-absorbed and stuck in her past that I was irritated with her the entire time.  It seemed like every few pages, she was flashing back to her time at the laundry.  Even when she was "helping" Kirsten, she was more focused on her own past rather than paying attention to the person in front of her.

The interaction with Stephen bothered me as well.  I'm not sure what woman, when she's attracted to someone, would think of them by their profession.  She thinks of him as "the postman" and not Stephen more times than I care to admit.  Also, she gets peeved at him for trying to do things for her, but then asks him to set up a meeting for her.  I think more time and attention to detail was spent on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz than on the story line between those two.  I never understood what Stephen actually saw in Annie.

I made it to the end of this book, but I never lost my dislike for Annie's character.  I was so disappointed that I didn't like this story, but I can't give it a good review if I didn't like it.  I'm so sorry that I can't recommend this book.  The contract for this series was canceled by the publisher, but the author is planning to publish the third book, Sofia's Tune, on her own.  I commend her for her perseverance and wish her the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment