A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, April 13, 2015

Deja Dead (Temperance Brennan #1) - Kathy Reichs

I picked this book up because I like the show Bones.  In the credits, you always see Kathy Reichs' name, and I decided it was time to give a book of hers a chance.  I didn't start reading with the expectation that the book was going to be exactly like the show, I read enough about her to know that much.

Temperance works in Canada and is called to scenes to evaluate remains.  She ends up at the scene of a gory murder and sees a connection with another case.  She can't get the police on board with her theory, but she's not giving up easily.

I can't really tell you much more about this book, because I only got about 20% into it and not too much had happened other than some murders and some pretty gory details.  I've been reading Christian fiction almost exclusively for quite a few years now and knew to expect some cussing and gore, but not to the level I read in the first part of this book.  The details in this book were way over the top, whether the author was describing the scenery or where the killer decided to shove a statue in his victim.

I'm sure there are tons of people out there who can appreciate a book like this, but I certainly wasn't one of them.  As far as I could tell, there were NO real similarities to the show that I actually liked, and I was happy to put the book down.  If you're into the show Bones and want to read something similar that doesn't have that level of gore and random details, I recommend reading A Cry from the Dust by Carrie Stuart Parks.  For me, Deja Dead is the first and last book I'll be reading by this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment