A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, June 6, 2014

Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County #2) - Regina Jennings

This author is a fairly recent discovery for me.  She's contributed to the novella collection, A Match Made in Texas, and also the first book in this series, Sixty Acres and a Bride.  I really enjoyed that one, so picking this one up was a no-brainer.

Molly is getting pressure from her family to marry well.  She's in love with Bailey, but he doesn't measure up to her parent's expectations or basically hers.  He's trying to find a job, but when Molly's father gets ill, the pressure becomes great and she's forced to make some tough decisions.  She meets a dashing gentleman who tempts her with a different life.  One where she can travel and save her family at the same time.

Bailey is trying to make himself worthy to court Molly.  He knows that she loves him, but they just can't find the resources to make it happen.  Both of these people are looking at themselves and finding what they see lacking.  Bailey thinks he needs a job and more money.  Molly feels forced to make decisions that will please others and she doesn't consider the consequences before acting.

This was another great book.  For most of it, you think these two are never going to get a chance to be together despite their obvious love for each other.  They go through some tough times that help them grow and realize who they are and what they really want.  I was impressed how they came to own up to their flaws and use them to change and grow.

The third book in this series, Caught in the Middle, is already waiting for me on my Kindle. It tells the story of Nicholas and Anne.  Nicholas is Molly's brother.  Both of these characters are seen in the other books, but their involvement is slight enough that reading these out of order won't affect your enjoyment of the story.  Good Book!




No comments:

Post a Comment