A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County #3) - Regina Jennings

This is the third book in this series.  The first one, Sixty Acres and a Bride, was a great read.  I just finished the second one, Love in the Balance, and decided to go ahead and finish out the series with Caught in the Middle.  The author also wrote a story in the novella collection A Match Made in Texas.

Nick has worked hard to make the connections with a prominent family in the railroad industry.  On his way to Garber, the train is held up and he ends up being saved by an unlikely source.  Anne has been hunting buffalo and is on the train to retrieve her cook from town.  She finds the cook, but unfortunately, the woman has no desire to return, but she leaves her infant son in Anne's care.

Coming to the end of her rope, Anne reaches out to Nick for help.  She doesn't trust anyone.  There's got to be an ulterior motive - everyone wants something from her.  But there's something about Nick that makes her want to trust again.  When he gives her a job, she sees how her choices can affect him.  Nick is drawn to Anne, but is she willing to trade her buckskins for a skirt?

This book was pretty good.  Anne's reasons for her wariness are heart-wrenching and parts of the book are darker than others.  Overall, sometimes it was hard to imagine a happy ending being possible, but it's in there.  Nick is definitely a city boy and watching him interact with Anne, who is more comfortable on the open range, was amusing at times.

As far as I can tell, this is the end of this series.  You do get a peek of how life is for Bailey and Molly (Love in the Balance), but you'd be okay reading these out of order.  Anne was important in the first book, but her story is retold in this book, so if you missed that one, you're not lost.  I had hoped to find a story about Joel, a minor character, but I don't think my wish will be granted.  Next up for this author is A Most Inconvenient Marriage, due out November 25, 2014.  I'm keeping my eye out for it.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment