A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Victory Club - Robin Lee Hatcher

I've read a lot of books by this author.  I usually enjoy her books and look forward to reading them.  When I found out she had a WWII themed book out there, I was surprised and pleased.  Snatching it up, I was excited to read it.

This book follows the story of four women during WWII.  I was a little worried at the beginning when they were being introduced that I would have issues keeping track of the different story lines, but the author does a good job keeping them straight.

Lucy's husband is a pilot overseas.  She's missing him fiercely and sees an opportunity to help her friends and pray for victory.  Not just victory for the war, but also for the trials the women will be going through. She calls her venture The Victory Club.  They plan on praying for each other and helping needy people in their neighborhood. Lucy misses her husband, and eventually her loneliness starts to affect her decisions and she makes some poor choices.

Dottie's love is also off fighting in the war.  Before he left, they made a decision that will affect both of them forever.  Dottie is expecting a baby, and now it's more important than ever for her man to come back home to her.  She knows that God has forgiven her, but will her mother?

Margo is Dottie's mother and her son is off at war.  Her version of religion involves following the rules and missing the compassionate heart of God.  Haunted by her past, she feels that her past decisions have come back to affect her children.  With Dottie being pregnant, will God require her son's life as well?

Penelope is fed up with her life.  Her husband claims that he can't fight because he hurt his back, but Penelope has her doubts.  She's ashamed of him and it starts to affect her marriage.  She makes some incredibly selfish decisions and risks losing everything.

While this was a good book, it's not all hearts and roses for everyone.  There's not a happy ending for everyone and one character in particular was on my naughty list for the whole book.  I don't want to give away spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.  There were a fair number of typos, especially in the letters between the men and women, but it didn't take away from the story too much.  Overall, it was a good read and I'm glad I found it.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment