A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, May 30, 2014

The Unrelenting Tide (Islands of Intrigue: San Juans #1) - Lynnette Bonner

I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty picky when it comes to contemporary books.  I'm drawn to historical fiction and enjoyed this author's series called The Shepherd's Heart. That series consisted of Rocky Mountain Oasis, High Desert Haven, Fair Valley Refuge, and Spring Meadow Sanctuary.  I picked up this book on the advice of Lesley Ann McDaniel, the author of the second book in this series.  I was in the mood for a good mystery, and I've been to the San Juan Islands, so I went ahead and picked this one up.

Devynne has been hiding for years now, but her past is coming back to hunt her.  Losing her sister and her husband, she feels a massive amount of guilt.  Her late husband's brother, Carcen, is doing a great job helping take care of her daughter, but he's also finding a way into her heart.

Carcen wants to help Devynne with her problems, but she pushes him away.  He's a sheriff and she doesn't want to risk her heart again.  But when her stalker comes back into her life, she needs his help to protect both herself and her daughter.  Allowing herself to love him will put him in the crosshairs.

This was a nice, easy read.  I like how the author applied enough shady moments to make more than one suspect a possibility.  I wasn't 100% sure who it was until the end.  That's something I appreciate when reading a mystery.  The second book in the series, Tide Will Tell, is by Lesley Ann McDaniel and just came out.  I picked it up and look forward to reading it.  The characters make very minor appearances in this book, making me believe this will be a series that's okay to read out of order.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment