A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, July 12, 2013

Fair Valley Refuge (The Shepherd's Heart #3) - Lynnette Bonner

In the past, I have read Rocky Mountain Oasis and High Desert Haven, the first two books in the series. Since I enjoyed those, I was happy to pick up the other two.

This series follows members of the Jordan family and this one follows Rocky.  He has loved Victoria for a long time but knows that his job as a lawman pushes her away. Her father was killed in the line of duty and now Victoria tries to ignore her feelings for Rocky. When Rocky takes her to the train station to check on the orphan train, one thing leads to another and he ends up married to her.  Now he lives with a new wife and three children.

Victoria is determined to keep her heart safe.  She feels that God doesn't care about her anymore or what happens to her.  He seems to take away everyone she loves, so her solution is to guard her heart as much as she can from any hurt at all.  When she marries Rocky to save the orphans on the train, she doesn't quite realize the path that she's started on.  Rocky has taken his vows seriously and has no plans on ending the marriage.

Victoria has hidden the fact that she was adopted because she feels that people will look at her differently.  As a child, she was told that there was something wrong with her and that was why she was abandoned.  Not knowing the truth, Victoria eventually believes that it had to be true.  It has clouded the way she views herself.  She will have to make peace with her past before she can embrace her present and look forward to her future.

As with the other two in the series, I enjoyed it.  There were a few moments in there when I skimmed a bit because of my prudish tendencies.  There wasn't anything in there objectionable, but I had a few blushes while I read it.  I'm not quite sure why.  The last book in the series, Spring Meadow Sanctuary, is about Cade and Sharyn, Rocky's sister. As a series, I would say that you could read them out of order with no problems, but there was a lot more interaction between Cade and Sharyn than I expected and I think it's important interaction to their relationship.  I'll address this after I've read Spring Meadow Sanctuary, but overall you could read this book alone with no issues.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment