A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Elisha's Bones (Jack Hawthorne #1) - Don Hoesel

This book isn't normally what I read at all.  After receiving an email containing information about this author's newest book, I noticed this one has been free for a while and decided to step out of my comfort zone and give it a shot.

In the beginning, Jack is excavating in the Valley of the Kings with his brother.  An incident takes the life of his brother and leaves Jack questioning whether it was an accident. Years later, he is approached by a man trying to find the bones of Elisha, a relic fabled to bring the dead back to life.  Jack has his doubts, but he ends up following the clues wherever they may take him.

While he follows the clues, he comes in contact with many people from his past and it seems that none of them are all that happy to see him.  When the body count starts to rise and Jack and his former fiance are targets, they realize that they only way to get out of the mess is to find the bones.  Somehow it's all related to the death of Jack's brother and he becomes obsessed with learning the truth.

I found myself trudging through the first half of the book.  The second half of it picked up and I found myself more interested and wanting to read on to the end.  I found that the ending left me feeling like I had missed something, and I had to read the last part a couple times.  It wasn't all that satisfying in that respect.  I also felt disconnected from the characters.  It seemed like anyone who talked to Jack ended up dead, but he just kept talking to people and watching them die.  It wasn't until the end that Jack makes a connection to God.  The glimpses of it that we see from those he interacts with were pretty shallow.

I made it through the book, but I pretty much forced my way through the first half.  I felt like there could have been less descriptions of the surroundings and more depth to the conversations between the characters.  I thought Jack was basically an island for most of the book and it just wasn't up my alley.  This book is part of a series.  Book 2 is called Serpent of Moses and the third book just came out the first of July, Blood and Bone.  My final decision is that it's a pass for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment