A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, May 9, 2014

Hearts Awakening (Hearts Along the River #1) - Delia Parr

This is my first read by this author.  I saw this book up for free and decided to give it a shot.

Ellie is a spinster.  Her cousin doesn't really want her and no one else seems to either. She's plain, poor and doesn't have much hope of a content life.  When she gets a proposal of marriage, it is with the understanding that there will be no love.  She's basically a housekeeper and nursemaid.  Ellie agrees.

Jackson hasn't been very smart in terms of love.  The only woman he's ever loved left him, so he married a woman he didn't love.  When she died, she brought scandal to his door. He asks Ellie to be his wife and her plain face insures that he won't have to deal with the same type of scandal.

Misunderstandings happen all the time as these two try to learn how to communicate and be honest with each other.  Jackson's anger threatens to ruin any hope they have of a life together.  Ellie has the patience of a saint, especially when dealing with Jackson. While Jackson isn't very likable at the beginning, by the end of the book, I thought he was much better.

I enjoyed this book.  There are two more in this series, Love's First Bloom and Hidden Affections.  After looking at the descriptions, the character names aren't familiar, so it's okay to read these by themselves.

This author also has another series, the Candlewood Trilogy.  It appears to be more of a straight historical novel, so I don't plan on reading it soon.  This book was enjoyable and I'll be on the lookout for the other two in the series.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment