A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, December 3, 2012

To Protect & Serve (The Courage Series #1) - Staci Stallings

I picked up this book for free quite some time ago.  I normally stick to authors I already like for contemporary romances, but I wanted to give this new author a shot.

Lisa is running her own company and basically running herself into the ground.  While helping her sister celebrate her upcoming marriage, she ends up at a club wishing she was back at work.  There she meets Jeff, who has come with his friends to celebrate their graduation from the fire academy.

Both of these people have issues.  Lisa apparently only attracts the wrong kind of man, and Jeff is so shy that he literally hides from Lisa when he sees her.  I'd like to report more on the story, but not much had happened in the 35% that I read.  They wanted to see each other, but both of them were too nervous to do anything about it.

I had to quit at 35%.  The characters were on my nerves.  I felt like I was reading a teenage drama romance rather than one written about adults.  Labeling people in the club as "elbow guy" and "pullover guy" should have been a hint to me that this book wasn't really going to be for me.  I think what really pushed me over the edge were the times when Jeff would hide from her.  I guess burning buildings aren't as scary as women.

This book just wasn't for me.  I wasn't a fan of the writing and I really was annoyed with the characters.  Maybe it got better later on, but I wasn't willing to invest any more time on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment