A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Livvie's Song (River of Hope #1) - Sharlene MacLaren

I've read a couple of books by this author in the past.  While she probably isn't one of my very favorites, her books have been enjoyable.  This one isn't really something that I would usually pick up, but between the author and the setting, I decided to give it a chance.

Livvie runs a restaurant in Wabash, Indiana.  Her husband died in a tragic accident in front of the restaurant about a year ago.  Her cook is getting ready to leave to join his family near Chicago and she has to make sure that the restaurant stays open so she can raise her two boys.

Will has just gotten out of prison for burglary.  He hops a freight car and heads for a place he's only heard about.  The place has its own song, so it must be a great place, right? Once he arrives, he needs to find a job and a place to live.  He doesn't plan on telling anyone about his past if he can help it, but he's given his life to God and decides that he won't keep it a secret.

Personally, I got about 10% in before I decided to put it down.  I wasn't interested in the characters at all at that point.  Maybe it got better later on, but I had to force myself to make it to 10%.  It's not my usual time period, but I think I might have picked it up because of the setting.  I used to live in Indiana and it may have drawn me in.  I thought that it was a slow start and it just wasn't for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment