A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Courting Morrow Little - Laura Frantz

In the past, I had picked up The Frontiersman's Daughter, also by this author, but was unable to get through it.  I picked this one up.  I hate to say it, but the cover sucked me in.

Morrow has had a tough childhood.  When the Shawnee attacked her home, her mother and young sister were killed and her brother disappeared.  Now it's just Morrow and her father.  She has been off to visit her aunt.  It was only meant to be a month, but it has turned into a two year visit due to the war.

Upon her return to Kentucky, Morrow finds that some things have changed.  Her father is now sickly and her friends seem to view her somewhat differently.  Some things have stayed the same though.  The Shawnee boy that Morrow's father helped save and his father are still coming to the cabin at times, frightening Morrow.

Now that Morrow is 18, she is being pursued by some men at the fort.  A particular major seems like he's not going to give up.  Morrow finds out some information about his past atrocities and has no interest in him, but the man doesn't take a hint.  Another man in town is interested but doesn't want to get in the major's way.  And then there is Red Shirt, the Shawnee boy that has grown into a handsome man.

Here I am again reading one of those Revolutionary War era books.  I don't read many that I enjoy at all and this one was no exception.  I didn't have any issues getting through it, but the romance part of the story, to me, was over about halfway through.  We don't stop at a marriage in this book.  We have more to conquer before we get anything that resembles a happily ever after.  Knowing anything about history, you realize that eventually this isn't going to be a happily ever after.

I really need to just give up on this era.  I need my happily ever afters, and I don't think that I'm going to get them in these books.  The book was well written and the characters easy to sympathize with, I just didn't enjoy it overall.  This is just not my kind of book.


No comments:

Post a Comment