A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tidewater Inn (Hope Beach #1) - Colleen Coble

I was amazed when this book popped up for $1.99 and snatched it up before it popped right back up in price!  If you've read any of my reviews for this author, you know she's one of my favorites.

Libby loves history and is in the business of preserving historical buildings with her friend, Nicole.  They have been given the task of checking out some places on the Outer Banks. Nicole has been checking things out alone and breaks the news that an attorney has been looking for Libby.  Her father lived there and left her an inheritance.  He also left a family. The news is shocking to Libby, but not nearly as shocking as watching her friend get kidnapped before her eyes on a beach webcam.

Alec works for the Coast Guard and has been asked to help with the search.  He's lived on the island most of his life and loves it there.  The sheriff happens to be Alec's cousin and he's asked Alec to keep an eye on Libby.  He believes that she may be capable of getting rid of Nicole.  Libby believes that she's going to have to take the investigation in her own hands, not only to find Nicole but also to clear her own name.  Alec gives her the benefit of the doubt and tries to help her whenever he can.

Her new "family" is less than welcoming and Libby has a lot on her plate.  Between dealing with her new inheritance, her new siblings, the kidnapping of her friend and being accused of being involved, Libby really could use a friend.  The feelings that grow between Alec and Libby are dealt with in a generally realistic way.  They can't be falling all over each other with tragedies and kidnappings happening around them.

This was Coble at her best.  It had romance, intrigue and a villain that I thought I had figured out.  We catch up with Bree, Kade and Davy from the Rock Harbor series.  They are visiting the island and I thought it was a great idea to incorporate them into the story. You would not need to read that series to understand anything in this one.

The next book in the Hope Beach series comes out next summer, Rosemary Cottage.  I'm not sure that I agree with the author's decision to release books in different series all jumbled together.  I would think that for the sake of the loyal readers, it would be better to finish out one series before getting all involved in another one, but I suppose that is just personal preference on my part.  Nevertheless, this one gets my Good Book! review!


No comments:

Post a Comment