A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, November 19, 2012

Captive Trail (Texas Trail #2) - Susan Page Davis

After finishing the first book in this series, Lone Star Trail, I was able to pick up this second book for $0.99.  This book is the first that I have read by this author.  I have seen her name pop up in the past and wondered about trying one of her books.  This was the perfect opportunity.  For more about this peculiar series with six titles and three authors, see the review for Lone Star Trail.

Taabe has been with the Comanche for 12 years.  She is finally presented with an opportunity to escape and takes it.  Most captives eventually give up or forget their old life, but not Taabe.  She flees on a horse and makes it pretty far before her horse steps in a hole and throws her to the ground.  She is hurt but manages to make it to the road before collapsing.

Ned is a stagecoach driver and is worried at first that the bundle in the road is meant to be an ambush.  His passengers, a few nuns, decide that the risk is worth it to help the poor soul lying in the road.  Feeling a strange connection to the girl, Ned is determined to help her find her family, but he also grows attached to her.

As Taabe becomes more adept at communicating, the nuns and Ned come to learn more about her past.  Taabe knows that the man she has rejected will come after her.  She has seen his cruelty in tracking down runaways before.  She trusts Ned, but still fears the Comanche coming after her.

The more she learns, the more she remembers about who she was.  She holds back a particular secret about her life with the Comanche for a long time.  She worries that Ned will not be as nice to her and she relies on his friendship.  These two fall in love, but finding Taabe's family may disrupt any future they could have with each other.

Taabe is Billie from book 1, the girl that was abducted by the Comanche in the prologue. True to the premise of the series, this book can be read alone with no issues.  You find Jud in this book, but it's not necessary to read these in order.  I have also picked up the third one, Long Trail Home, for $0.99.  This will be another new author for me, but I look forward to continuing the series.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment