A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Words Spoken True - Ann H. Gabhart

I believe that more than one of this author's books has been up for free before, but this is the first one that appealed to me.  The topic of most of this author's books seems to be more about people that live the simple life like the Amish and Shakers, and I personally don't read those types of books.  Reading the summary to this book, I was interested and picked it up.

Adriane loves to help publish her father's newspaper in Louisville.  At this time, there are many political issues floating around that cause Adriane to stop and evaluate what her father is supporting.  She isn't allowed to write about anything except the social events in the area, but she gets past that by sending letters to the paper under a false name.

Blake is the editor of a rival paper.  He notices that Adriane's father seems to be leaning a particular way and starts a war of words between the two editors.  Blake is also trying to bring attention to a serial killer that is targeting Irish women.  At this particular time, most of the people of the city don't appreciate the Irish and German immigrants and are trying to take away their rights.  Blake feels that they are equals and tries to share that sentiment.

Adriane is engaged to be married to Stanley, the son of the man Adriane's father owes a great deal of money to.  She's not in love with him, and when she sees Blake at a social function, she feels a connection to him.  Blake feels the same way.  He may be the enemy, but he has no plans on ignoring how Adriane makes him feel.

I read through this book pretty quickly once I got into it.  It was interesting and unique.  Not an entirely happy book, there is some sadness involved.  There were a few tastefully handled sex scenes, but it was nothing detailed. 

I was a little surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did.  Most of the new authors I have tried recently have been somewhat disappointing, so I didn't hold out much hope when I started it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I liked the characters of Blake, Adriane and Beck a great deal.

Ann Gabhart has written quite a few books, but as I said, most of the subject matter is not quite up my alley.  I'll keep an eye out for her offerings in the future, but as of now, I don't see anything else of hers that would appeal to me and that's a shame.  She's a great author.  Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment