A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Seeds of Summer (Seasons of the Tallgrass #2) - Deborah Vogts

This was a freebie that popped up and it was a new author for me.  The book is a contemporary romance and I am normally more drawn to historical romances but decided I would give it a chance.

Natalie lives in Kansas where she has had to take control of her father's ranch after his tragic death.  Her dreams have been put on hold to care for her two younger siblings and they are a little rebellious.  A former beauty queen, Natalie's sister feels like she's had the easy life and has gotten everything she ever wanted.  Her brother has taken to disappearing without telling her where he is going.

Jared meets Natalie's brother while he is fishing.  Her brother didn't tell her that he was going fishing and so she's not in the best of moods when she discovers him and Jared.  Jared is drawn to her and offers to help out the family around the ranch.

Once Natalie finds out that Jared is a pastor, she becomes wary and wants to back away.  She abandoned God when her mother died and figures that she doesn't need Him.  She just needs to rely on herself.  When things start to spiral out of control, Natalie has to face the fact that she can't control her life and needs to look elsewhere for help.

Jared is faced with falling in love with someone who doesn't share his faith.  He tries to understand and keep his distance, but eventually everything works out for the best. I had issues with him at times, just for the simple fact that he never lost his temper.  It just didn't seem realistic.

I found this to be a quick, fun read and liked it pretty well.  The additional struggles with Natalie's stepmother who is back from the grave was an interesting twist, as was the whole beauty queen aspect.  Even though this was a contemporary romance, I liked it pretty well. 

As far as I can tell, there was only one other book in the series, Snow Melts in Spring.  The two books do not appear to be connected.  I wonder if the author originally planned on all four seasons.  Maybe in the future fall and winter will be written.  If Snow Melts in Spring pops up for free, I'll pick it up.  Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment