A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Lady of Hidden Intent (Ladies of Liberty #2) - Tracie Peterson

This is one of the books that I picked up that had popped up on my wish list.  Tracie Peterson is an author that I have read in the past and haven't really been disappointed.  In the past, I have read Embers of Love, Dawn's Prelude, A Lady of High Regard (book 1 in this series), and I also read her Alaskan Quest series in DTB form.  I even tried A Daughter's Inheritance, but it was a collaboration and I wasn't fond of it.  Overall, I consider Tracie Peterson to be an author I can count on for a good read.

Catherine is a well-to-do English lady who has been forced to flee the country.  Her father has been falsely accused of transporting slaves and has asked her to go to America so that she will be safe.  Once in America, she changes her name and takes a job working in a seamstress shop.  Her dresses are beautiful and her designs unique.  She soon draws the attention of the wealthy women in Philadelphia.

Carter's sister, Winifred, is having a gown made for the family's annual masquerade ball.  Winifred's overbearing mother walks all over her and Catherine tries to help the shy woman to feel more comfortable.  When Carter accompanies his sister to the shop, he notices something about Catherine that seems familiar, but she is determined to avoid him as much as possible.

Carter does what he can to be with her.  He pays the owner of the shop so Catherine can spend more time with his sister, and more importantly, him.  He decides that he is going to find out about her past, and once he does, he wants to do what he can to right the situation.  He also has to deal with issues within his family.  With Catherine's father in prison and Carter's family valuing wealth and standing more than anything else, these two have a lot to get resolved before they can be together.

I enjoyed this book a great deal.  The characters were likable and the story was original.  The third book in the series, A Lady of Secret Devotion, is still above my price range, but I hope that it will drop eventually.  It is not necessary to read this series in order.  This was definitely money well spent.  Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment