A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, May 14, 2012

False Pretenses (Secrets of Roux River Bayou #1) - Kathy Herman

This book was up for free a little while ago and I have read this author before.  Back in the day before I had my Kindle, I read the first two books in her Phantom Hollow series.  They were good reads, but they didn't compel me enough to get the third.

False Pretenses is mainly about the harm that lies can cause.  This theme isn't really clear in the beginning of the book and I had some issues getting into it.  The story, at that point, is split between two characters and I had problems figuring out if the story was mainly about one set of people or the other.  When it started to focus on Zoe, I was a little surprised.  I thought it was leaning more toward being about Vanessa and Ethan.  Anyway...

Zoe runs a popular diner in a small Cajun town.  The people that live in the area are very proud of their heritage and they're a close-knit community.  Zoe's husband, Pierce, means everything to her.  The only man she's ever loved, she starts getting notes that make her fear for that relationship.  The notes suggest that someone out there knows that her entire life is a lie and is ready and willing to expose her.

As a result, Zoe decides to try and get one step ahead of the culprit and resolve the major issue of the lies that she has been telling on her own.  It doesn't resolve the lies that she has told to her husband, but she thinks it will be enough to get her out of the jam that she's in.  Unfortunately, she has the wrong idea about which lie is causing the issue and ends up putting not only herself in danger, but also her husband and her neighbors as well.

Once I got into the book, it was a decent read.  The suspense took a while to get off the ground, as I didn't find the notes to be all that suspenseful.  "I know what you did" wasn't all that scary considering what she thought it was about.  I also was prepared for the story to be over sooner at the end.  I can say that I thought that the story was over 2 chapters before it actually was.  It seemed like a happy ending overkill.

The other books in the series are called Dangerous Mercy and Relentless Pursuit.  I don't think that I will track either.  It was a decent book, but just not quite enough to merit a Good Book label.  It was on the edge though.

No comments:

Post a Comment