A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Yellow Rose Bride - Lori Copeland

Another book that I bought before vacation to make sure I had an author I enjoy.  I have read a few of hers in the past including Faith, and more recently Bluebonnet Belle. 

Adam and Vonnie were married briefly, long ago when they were still very young.  Their families feud like the Hatfields and McCoys, so they decide to annul the marriage.  Or more accurately, Vonnie can't face her father and Adam does nothing to stop her.

Years later, Vonnie is now a successful seamstress.  Adam is now engaged to one of her friends and she is being asked to make the wedding dress.  Vonnie comes to the realization that she has never stopped loving Adam, and now is carrying the guilt of loving a man engaged to someone else.

Adam is having problems of his own.  His fiance finishes all his sentences for him.  I don't know about you, but that would annoy me.  The marriage was set up by his father, who is hoping that it will bring some money to the ranch.

A tragedy in Vonnie's family forces her to take over running their ostrich farm.  She also has the choice to sell up and move away.  As she realizes just how much she loves Adam, moving away starts to sound better all the time.  She can't stay there and watch him be married to someone else.  She's also having to deal with her mother, who lost most of her sense of reality when her husband died.  A change might do her good.  It also seems like someone is trying to encourage her to sell by sabotaging things around the farm.

The feud that exists between the two families needs to be resolved before Vonnie and Adam can be together.  The heart of the matter seems to come down to a horrible act that the fathers and two other men committed on their way home from the civil war.  There's something more to the mystery than meets the eye and the end is unique and I thought was well thought out.

All in all, my only real complaint was the overly long descriptions of clothes.  I know nothing about different types of lace, etc. so I skimmed these parts.  I'm also not quite sure why it was titled Yellow Rose, but maybe I missed that in one of the clothing descriptions.  Overall, a great book and it definitely gets a Good Book! review.

No comments:

Post a Comment