A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, April 16, 2012

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years - Donald Miller

A friend recommended this book to me as a great read.  I was a bit skeptical, since not only is this a nonfiction book, my friend doesn't read anything remotely similar to what I like to read.  Regardless of my feelings, I picked it up for $4.99 and read it in three days.

Let me clarify why it took me three days.  It wasn't because I was really into the book.  It was because I wanted to get through it and be done with it.  I wanted to like the book, it just wasn't happening.  I had planned on reading 20% a day, but I forced myself to get through more at each sitting.  My thought was that if I read more, I would get done quicker.

The book follows the author as he edits his life to make it more interesting for a movie.  Along the way, he faces the fact that most lives are overall boring and that we have a choice to make them interesting.  He decides to go on adventures for the sake of making his life story better.  He does things that make me wonder if he did them because he wanted to add adventure to his life or he thought that he would be able to make people think he was more interesting.  For example, he offers to take an extremely difficult hike to try and impress a girl.

He adds these random stories that are disjointed and added here and there throughout the book.  You get to section and it dawns on you that part of this story was earlier in the book.  Was there a particular point in breaking up the story that way?  I didn't see a clear reason for it.

Don't get me wrong, there were some interesting parts to the book.  I learned a little bit about story itself and what makes a good story.  The thing that I thought was missing was God.  God was mentioned in there at times, but I didn't feel like He was central to the point of the book.  Overall, this book just seemed like the random ramblings of a man who had some things to say but wasn't quite sure how to order them in a way that connected itself to the ultimate purpose of his own story.  It was also a little depressing.  Donald Miller's major work that people seem to like is called Blue Like Jazz.  I have no plans on reading it. 

Would I have read this book on my own?  No.  Do I want to read more?  No.  This just isn't my genre at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment