A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Healer: A Novel (The Brides of Alba Series) - Linda Windsor

This book was up for free quite a while ago and it took me a while to give it a try.

Breanna is a young woman who has had a very solitary life thus far.  Her mother and father were murdered by a neighboring family.  Driven by jealousy and revenge, Tarlach brought his young son, Ronan, to the killing.  Breanna is whisked away by her nurse and becomes the only survivor of her family.

Now, Breanna is older and rumors surround her existence.  She is believed to be a witch that can shape forms and become a wolf.  Her only friend is her white wolf, Faol.  Her life changes one day when she witnesses the attempted murder of a man.  Her wolf saves him, and as a healer, it is Breanna's duty to use her gifts to help heal him.

Ronan wakes to find a beautiful woman caring for him.  Once he figures out who she is, he is wary that she might be up to something.  He decides to use a false name to protect himself.  As time goes by, his suspicions are put to rest and he begins to fall in love with her.  Breanna is falling in love as well, and she believes that he was meant to be her husband.

Once they are united, they both come to believe that it is time to put the feud to rest and begin again with peace between the two families.  Unfortunately, there is more than meets the eye at home and the people that want the alliance to fail need to be exposed before the families can move forward.

This was a pretty good book.  I made it to the end, but there were parts of it that struck me as odd.  There was a lot of Arthur and Guinevere characters in there and these aspects were mixed with demons and visions.  Something about the way they were combined struck me as unusual to the point of distraction.  I also would get tripped up figuring out how to pronounce some of the names and places.  A minor complaint to be sure, but it was still a negative for me.

At present, there is another book in the series, Thief, a novel about Ronan's brother, Caden.  I don't really have any desire to read that one and won't track it.  The writing was good, there was just something about it that lessened my enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment