A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Eighth Sea - Nancy Sprowell Geise

Well, my spring break is over and I got some reading done on vacation.  As a result, I decided to go ahead and post a review on the weekend.  The Eighth Sea was one of the freebies I've had for a little bit and decided to give it a shot.

Breanna lives on an island with her father.  While he's drunk, he reveals that she is not really his daughter and that she was taken in at his wife's request.  Now that she is gone, Breanna suffers from the anger and thievery of her father.  Once she finds out that she doesn't belong to him, she makes the decision to leave the island.

Nathan is the captain of the ship that Breanna stows away on.  She has hidden in the bowels of the ship so long that, when he finds her, she is very sick.  She is given the opportunity to recover in the captain's chamber, not knowing that she has met him before.  Questioning his motives, Breanna flees the first chance she gets.  It is at that moment that she leaves behind a bracelet that identifies her as the missing daughter of a couple that lost her while traveling to America.

I forced myself to read to about 20% on this book before I gave up.  Unfortunately there was something about Breanna that irritated me, I'm not quite sure what it was.  When she left the island to stow away on the ship, I was more concerned about the dog she was leaving behind.  There was a lot of flashbacks in there.  What really bothered me was when I read a flashback from her dead mother.  It just didn't seem to flow for me.  Nathan, on the other hand, seemed to be a nice character and I liked what I read of him.

I guess that Breanna irritated me to the point that, when she ran away, I just quit out of frustration.  I didn't want to read about her anymore and decided that I had suffered long enough.  The sea travel was a long, tedious read for me and I was ready for it to end long before it did.  I realize that it wasn't a 4 hour trip to cross the ocean, but I didn't want to spend that much time on it.  This book just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment