A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, August 19, 2024

Years of Wrath: A Cartoon History: 1931-1945 - David Low (Chronology and text by Quincy Howe)

This book is a collection of political cartoons created by David Low. He started making political cartoons early in life and eventually made his way to the Star, a paper in London. He was given free rein, so even though his views didn't mesh with those of his editor, he wasn't censored. The cartoons in this collection cover the lead up and duration of WWII.

Full confession: I hate political cartoons. I've never understood them, so I've always avoided them like the plague. I saw this had text with it, and I figured maybe I could get some understanding. Each panel has a paragraph with it explaining what was going on in the world at the time and inspired the cartoon. It was helpful, and I really appreciated it.

At the end of the book, there is a chronology of the events of the war. There was so much going on at the same time, having it broken up into smaller chunks like this was super helpful. The only thing I would point out is this was published in 1946, so some of the information doesn't appear to have all the details that later investigations provided.

The other thing I noticed was the quality of the cartoons. Digitally, they were okay for the most part, but many of them had parts where the text inside was hard to read. I ended up reading this on my laptop, and I had it blown up where the cartoon took up the whole screen. I still couldn't read some of them. I initially tried to read it on my Kindle, but they were way too small. Overall, with the explanations, I didn't hate the political cartoons. I was able to understand and learn more about the government side of the war, and all the text was short and to the point. I'll easily give this a Good Book! review. If you aren't fond of the cartoons and are just looking for a chronology of significant events of WWII, check this book out. I found it on Internet Archive.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment