A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, August 8, 2024

Why We Fought - Jerry Borrowman

This is a collection of seven stories from WWII. Individuals covered are Viriginia Hall (SOE/OSS), William Sebold (helped expose German saboteurs in USA), Marlene Dietrich (actress), Juan Pujol (double agent) and Carl Lutz (saved approximately 72,000 Jews). Additionally, the book covers the Ghost Army (deceived German army of troop locations) and the Battle for Castle Itter (Americans and Germans fighting together to save VIP prisoners being held by the SS at the end of the war).

The book is well researched, but with the length that it is, you can't really expect a deep dive on any of these topics. Personally, I was already familiar with most of them, but I still learned a few things. I appreciated the notes at the end of the chapters, so I could easily connect which books related to which topics in case I want to read into a subject further. The chapters also had enough breaks in them that it was easy to pick up the book, read a section, and put it down without spending an hour doing it.

I liked the writing style used in this book, and the topics weren't dragged out longer than they needed to be. Each of these were pretty surface level examinations, and that was what I was expecting. If you're interested in some really neat stories from WWII that aren't normally talked about, I would recommend this book. It easily earns a Good Book! review from me!



No comments:

Post a Comment