A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, August 5, 2024

The Sandman - Neil Gaiman

I've been working on this series for a while now. I saw first season of the show on Netflix, and I read in multiple articles about how good the overall story was. I've been drawn to the graphic novels lately, so I was happy to see what the hype was all about.

The Sandman is following the story of Dream, one of The Endless. He has some brothers and sisters, and together they have responsibilities they take care of. The story begins with Dream being the prisoner of a man. Once Dream escapes, he has to put his realm back in order and his life after. It's hard to describe the plot, since it covers 13 issues.

The box set has 14 books, but one of them is a duplicate title. The Dream Hunters was published with two different art styles. I preferred the more graphic novel art, but the other is beautiful as well. The books themselves were not too heavy and easy to pick up and read. It was harder to put them down!

I really enjoyed this journey. There are a lot of deeper emotions and thoughts explored that I wasn't expecting. The art was beautiful throughout, and I appreciated it. Endless Nights is a collection of short examinations of the Endless, and I'm glad it was in there. The Dream Hunters was more of a single story, but it was one of my favorites. The final book was something of a risk in my opinion. It's an end and a beginning, thus the infinity instead of the number on the spine. Making a series competently circle around is difficult and takes a great deal of talent. But it happened here. 

The Sandman made me happy, and it made me sad. I almost cried a couple of times, and I wanted to be able to rejoice at a happy ending. But it wasn't that simple, and it wouldn't have made sense to end that way. It's hard to describe, but with all that said, this series definitely gets a Good Book/Series! review. I'm hoping in the future to read more from Gaiman.



No comments:

Post a Comment