A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, August 25, 2024

The Crystal Shard (Icewind Dale #1) - R. A. Salvatore

Recently, I remembered we had purchased a ton of Drizzt books through Humble Bundle. I decided to track them down and see how far behind I was. Answer: so far behind...

The Ten-Towns are under attack by the barbarians of the tundra. They've been warned by Drizzt, the drow elf that very few trust. Since they were forewarned, the people come out on top, but one of the barbarians is spared and taken in by Bruenor the dwarf to learn the ways of their world. There's something about this barbarian...

As this is going on, Akar Kessel is amassing an army. He's under the influence of the Crystal Shard. He's got a demon by his side, and he feels invincible. His army is made up of races and tribes that don't normally work together, but the crystal gives him the power to keep them in line.

I got sucked into this book early on. It's broken up into three parts with an epilogue on each part, but it's simply a continuation of the story. The characters were easy to sympathize with, and the action easy to follow. I could put the book down, and I wouldn't have a problem remembering what was happening when I picked it back up. Sometimes that's a problem when you have this many different threads in one story.

Salvatore's a pro at what he does. There's a reason he has so many books under his belt, and I think a lot of it has to do with the character building he does. Something that really stood out to me in particular were the fight scenes. Those are really difficult to write, and making them engaging and easy to follow is hard to master.

Drizzt is an intriguing character, and now he's on his way with Bruenor, Wulfgar and Regis to find Mithril Hall. Next up is Streams of Silver, and I'll be reading that one soon. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment