A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, July 5, 2024

The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America - Matt Kracht

We went on a shopping trip last weekend and ended up at the mall. After successful locating some comfy shorts (a necessity for hermits), my daughter wanted to go to the "sock store." I personally had never been there, so I was excited to see it.

The place was great. Socks, oddities, a cool shirt (kinda wish I'd gotten it to be honest) and...

THIS BOOK!

Ok, I admit. I was almost cry laughing in the store. I'm sure people were wondering if I'd lost my mind, but just flipping through a couple of the pages had me calling over my daughter. It has rough drawings and sarcastic commentary about birds and the watching of them.

I like to hunt for birds, but guess what? It does suck. The birds always show me their butts, never sit still and I have had a bird poop in my hair. So, I loved this book. I like the snarky names for the birds and their fun categories. Murder birds is probably my favorite. The picture of the Pooper's Hawk had me almost cry laughing. And the extinct birds? Awesome addition.

One word of caution: I wouldn't buy this for my 10-year-old interested in birds. The names of some of these and the language isn't something I would want my child repeating back to me. I can only imagine being in public and hearing a child shout, "Look, Mom! A M--rf--ing Bald Eagle!"

But if you're an adult and can moderate your language in a setting, this book is great fun. The pictures are amazing, and the tips are fun. So get out your thermos of booze, get some binoculars and look for that White-breasted Butt Nugget. Great Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment