A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, July 22, 2024

Farewell, My Lovely (Philip Marlowe #2) - Raymond Chandler

This is the second book in the series. Back in September of last year, I read the first book, The Big Sleep. I liked that one, so I wanted to read more about the unique personality that was Philip Marlowe. Just as a quick disclaimer, there is dated language in this book.

In this book, Marlowe gets pulled into a bar to be involved in a murder (that no one seems to care about), then there's another murder at the handover of some jewels, and then a bunch of other stuff happens. It's kind of a mess. Marlowe walks into a lot of situations and weasels his way out of them in his normal fashion.

I didn't seem to enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. I liked the gentle giants of the book more than Phil. Well, the one wasn't really gentle, but Moose was definitely a giant. Red was the other character I really enjoyed. He had personality, and I was happy to find out he had a happy ending.

Other than that, the entire thing was a muddle for me. There were so many twists and turns, I got a bit lost a couple times. Maybe that's on me, but it wasn't a smooth sail for me. Marlowe was always playing an angle, but I had no idea what it was. I think I'm done with this detective. 



No comments:

Post a Comment