A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, July 8, 2024

One Man and His Dog - Anthony Richardson

The weird thing about this book is when I went to look it up on Amazon, the page for the Kindle version was gone. The link from my purchase takes me to a dead page. This book is out of print, so it's a shame it isn't available. Maybe it's a temporary thing.

Vaclav Robert Bozdech (Jan) is a Czech man who wants to fight the Germans during WWII. When's Jan's plane is shot down between the German and French lines, he hides in a building with a pilot. Inside the building they find a puppy. Jan is drawn to the pup, but the dog could give away their position, so they leave him behind. The puppy isn't happy about that and starts to cry. Jan goes back to take care of him (not in a good way), but instead a beautiful friendship starts. The dog is named after a Soviet plane ANT-40 - his name is Antis.

Over the years, these two are inseparable. It's a relationship that puts Antis's life in danger more than once. His dedication to watching for his master is heart-wrenching. Jan and his fellow airmen work together on numerous occasions to protect the dog, and he returns the favor. He's special in so many ways.

This book was really good. I was a bit disappointed there wasn't any kind of explanation of how the author got the story. Putting that aside, the amount of trials these two went through was extraordinary. Even after the war ended, Jan wasn't welcome in his own country and had to flee again. The end had me in tears. I really enjoyed this one and highly recommend it. Hopefully it comes back on Kindle soon. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment