A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, March 4, 2022

The Silver Blade - Charles E. Walk

I picked this one out on my own. I have a few pages of titles, and I hadn't read any books off this page yet.

A man falls into a room with a dagger sticking out of his neck. There are plenty of people in the office building where the murder occurs, but no one seems to be the culprit. Detective Converse has his own methods of getting to the truth, and it's going to take all of them to solve this mystery.

This story was a basic whodunit, and it brought something to my attention that is starting to annoy me about these older books. This is the third or fourth book that I've read in the recent past where one of the women succumbs to some sort of "brain fever" and is useless for a huge chunk of the book.  One of the other female characters is a bit stronger, so that's a mark in this book's favor. I wondered if it was due to the male outlook at the time, but one of the books I'm referring to was written by a woman, so who knows?

This book also has a fair bit of racist language in it that seems to be common at the time. It's not on every page or anything, but just so you know, it's in there.

Overall, this was a decent mystery. It wasn't bad, and it wasn't fantastic. I didn't feel like I was getting clues along with the detective that would help me solve the crime. There are little things here and there, but I wouldn't rank it as highly as some of the others I've read recently.



No comments:

Post a Comment