A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu - Sax Rohmer

So, I accidentally watched part of a movie with this character in it and noticed that a book was involved. This is the first book in the series, and it was published in 1913.

Dr. Petrie is our narrator in this adventure where we're chasing down the nefarious Dr. Fu-Manchu. The way he kills people is so clever that most of the time, it doesn't even look like there is any foul play involved. Petrie's friend, Smith, is trying to stop this madman before he...takes down the white people.

Okay, so here's where it gets disappointing. The racism against the Chinese in this book made me uncomfortable. The word "yellow" appeared WAY too many times for my liking. But here's the kicker - it could've been a great book. The doctor was using science and cunning in such a way that he could have been a great villain on his own without it being racially based. As it is, I'll be done here.



No comments:

Post a Comment