A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Eagles of the RAF - Philip D. Caine

This book tells the story of a group of Americans who joined the RAF before the United States officially entered WWII. Many of them were wanting the excitement of flying faster planes, some wanted to help Britain, and others felt the war was coming and they didn't want to end up on the ground. These men took great risks and many never came home.

A lot of the book is straight telling you what happened and when. Memories from members of the squadrons are sprinkled throughout the book, but I wish there had been more.

I think this book would be best for someone who has a direct link to the Eagles or is researching them. The amount of detail in this book was just too much for me, but I think someone who has a connection with it would find it immensely interesting. Let me explain what I mean. I have a book called Boomerang! It's the story of the 320th bomber squadron during WWII. It interests me because that's the group my grandfather flew in. There's even a picture of the nose art from his plane in there. Now I can't imagine a regular person finding Boomerang! interesting, and I feel like Eagles of the RAF might fall into the same category.

Don't get me wrong, parts of it were interesting, but much of it was pretty dry for me. I've realized that I'm more drawn to the autobiography/memoir side of nonfiction, so this one was going to be a rough sell for me, but I did learn a lot. I hope my copy ends up finding its way to someone who will appreciate it as much as I do my copy of Boomerang!



No comments:

Post a Comment