A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, March 14, 2022

The Brown Mask - Percy James Brebner

I picked this one out randomly, but then I discovered there was a highwayman named 'Galloping Hermit' in it, and I was sold!

Barbara is in the care of her uncle down at Aylingford Abbey. She has few friends, but she has plenty of suitors. The problem is that she can't get a particular set of gray eyes out of her mind. Once she finds out those eyes also belong to a highwayman, she is conflicted. Can she truly love a criminal?

I have to say, this was such an enjoyable book. Was it a bit cheesy on the romance at times? Sure, but she's not the normal damsel in distress that's useless and whines all the time. And half the time, it was the men who were fawning over her. I loved the little twists and turns in the plot. They were so unexpected and so well done, especially in a book written in 1910. I do wish a bit more had been made of the whole "Children of the Devil" thing. The author dedicated a whole chapter to it then it just melted away for the most part.

Anyway, this was a real joy when I needed it. LOVED the Galloping Hermit and will remember him as one of my favorite character names of all time. I read this one in two days and have no regrets doing so. Long live the Galloping Hermit! Great Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment