A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, February 26, 2022

Memoirs of an Arabian Princess from Zanzibar - Emily Ruete

I'd like to say I picked this book on purpose to read, but honestly, it was an accident. I was going to pick up one of my print books, but I knew I had a couple doctor appointments coming up, so I wanted something on my Kindle. My finger tapped on this one accidentally, and I decided I would go ahead and read it. Don't get me wrong, I planned on reading it eventually, maybe just not this soon.

Emily was born in Zanzibar as Sayyida Salama bint Said in 1844. In this book, she mostly talks about the way her people live and how it differs from life in Germany. She also tells stories from her childhood and early adult life, focusing on her life in Zanzibar. Eventually, she married a German man and moved to Germany, but she did return to her homeland one more time before her death in 1924.

I found this book to be really interesting. I think it would be the most beneficial if you were creating characters for a book and your setting was this time period and this particular place. The author is very thorough and covers a wide range of subjects. She covers everything from a day in her life to holidays she observed and what she ate and wore. If you have any interest in this place during this time period, I highly recommend this book. You'll learn a lot. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment