A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Eastern Approaches - Fitzroy Maclean

I picked this book because I was intrigued by a "real-life James Bond" and hearing his exploits in his own words. I had to get this one as a paperback since it's not available for my Kindle. 

Fitzroy Maclean was a resourceful man who started out in Russia, made his way to Central Asia (by his own smarts and quick thinking at times), then headed off to Northern Africa and finally to Yugoslavia to connect with the mysterious Tito during WWII.

The summary for this book makes the claim that Maclean is a real-life inspiration for the character of James Bond, and after reading his memoir, I can see why. He tells his story in an engaging way, and he doesn't overstate his role. He's charming enough to get along with almost anyone he meets, and he can get out of tight spots.

I can see where some would be a little put off by the writing. It's not all action and adventure. It's somewhat long at 532 pages, and some of the descriptions can be a bit tiring. His writing style has an edge of humor at times that made me smile, and I really enjoyed the accounts from the other side of him parachuting in with a Kodak and a pipe.

This is going to be another one of those books that I will mourn that there isn't a digital version. What a pity if it should be lost or someone who wants to read it can't get access to it because it's out of print. Good Book! 



No comments:

Post a Comment