A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The Master Mummer - E. Phillips Oppenheim

I wanted some help finding my fiction. This time, I went to my younger daughter and asked for her opinion. The moment she saw the title, she picked this book for me to read. She had no idea what a mummer was, but it sounded amazing to her, so I downloaded a copy and started reading. And just in case you didn't know (which I wasn't sure), a mummer is an actor.

Okay, so I can't give you much about the plot of this book because the facts are slowly revealed throughout the story itself. I will say a bit about the beginning. An author is looking to tell a story that's different from what he usually writes. He lives with two other bachelors, and one of them recommends he observe real people so he can write about them. Arnold heads off to the train station and meets a man. Together, they see a young woman who seems terrified of the man she's with. Soon the two men find themselves in a position to do something about it.

I really did enjoy this book, but I did have a slight issue with the three bachelors. It took me a while to keep them apart. Their names are Allan, Arnold and Arthur. Mostly, it was Arnold and Arthur. Their names were just too similar. Other than that, the book was pretty entertaining.

I loved the way the identity of the girl is revealed little by little throughout the book. It isn't all revealed in one big moment, it's little bits here and there. I thanked my daughter for picking a winner, and I might ask her again in the future. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment