A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

The Glass-sided Ants' Nest - Peter Dickinson

This is the second of the three little "gems" I picked up at the second-hand bookstore. I picked this one because it had an interesting cover, and the summary on the back was intriguing.

A man has been murdered. Jimmy Pibble has been called in to solve the mystery, but he's up against a strange set of people. They're a relocated tribe from New Guinea, and they aren't very forthcoming about what's been going on in the house. There are other people related to the tribe's past that may also be involved in the murder, but Pibble is having trouble getting anywhere with the case.

This book is a strange one. The chapters are excessively long and only change when one specific character has a flashback. And those don't seem to be relevant. The tribespeople are referred to with derogatory terms throughout the entire book, and I wasn't overly fond of the style of writing. The end also bothered me. It wasn't coherent and didn't make a lot of sense to me. 

I didn't really like this book. I think I would've quit reading it had I not wanted to find out who the murderer was. And even then, I wasn't really happy I'd read it. Sadly, this book just wasn't for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment