A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Beyond the Medal - Peter C. Lemon

I can't remember where exactly I first saw this book, but I ordered a used copy off the internet. As my taste in reading has been evolving, I appreciate it when books have been made available in a digital form. I don't mind if they are in physical form as well, but with some of them, I'm afraid that as time passes, many memoirs that may not be as well known may fade from existence. I think that would be a shame.

In this book, you'll find short entries about 94 recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Many of the entries are from the men themselves, but some are from family members and one is from a friend. Along with a picture is a short summary of the act of bravery which resulted in the awarding of the medal. On the opposite page is their contribution. Sometimes it's a poem and other times it's a story. 

If you're wanting a bunch of war stories, don't come here. Very few of the men say much about the events that resulted in them being awarded the medal. I found this to be an interesting take on the topic, and it made me more interested in some of the people. I looked up to see if a couple of my favorites had published memoirs, but unfortunately, most of them hadn't. My favorite story was from a humble man named Charlie Morris, who thought of himself as a mere custodian of the medal and who saw the men he fought with as the heroes, not himself. Many stories touched me, and I can see myself leafing through the book at a later date and being amazed at the humility and bravery that these men exhibited in the face of danger.

I learned a lot about the Congressional Medal of Honor and a small number of the men who received it. I learned that the appearance of the medal changes for the branch of service the recipient serves in. Since the book was published (1997), approximately 25 medals have been awarded. By far, the most medals were awarded during the Civil War, with 1,520 recipients. Overall, more than 3,500 medals have been awarded, and 19 individuals have become double recipients.

One last thing I'd like to add. At the end of the book, there's a breakdown of how many medals were awarded during each war and to which branch. My eyes immediately went to the one Medal of Honor awarded to the Coast Guard. With a bit of research, I learned the story of Douglas Albert Munro, a brave young man who aided in the evacuation of marines at Guadalcanal in 1942. After his death, his mother, at the age of 48, joined the Coast Guard to honor his legacy. What an amazing family.

Maybe I would've never heard many of these stories without this book, and I'm glad I read it. Remember the fallen. Honor those who fought for your freedom. Good Book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment