A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Brass Bowl - Louis Joseph Vance

This is one of the older titles that was advertised in the back of another book, and I chose it randomly. I had no idea what it was about, but I admit, I was a bit nervous based on the title.

Our main character is made aware that a thief might be after the family jewels, so Dan Maitland decides to head to the family estate to make sure they're safe. On the way there, he comes across an intriguing young woman dressed in gray who mistakes him for someone else. What happens after that is a case of mistaken identity that causes confusion and danger for both of them.

I found the beginning and end to drag a bit, but I really enjoyed the middle. I think the melodramatic nature of the characters brought it down for me. After glancing at the woman in gray, Maitland basically decides he's in love with her. She's not much better. The end especially didn't make sense to me, but I'll let it slide.

It's hard to describe how exactly I felt during much of the book. Most of the emotions are coming from Maitland (since we read more from his point of view), but the woman is just as bad.

I didn't see the cover until I was trying to find the picture for this review, but jeez, it's not very attractive. If the story was less corny in the romance department, it would've been really good. Overall, it had potential, but it wasn't one of my favorite things I've read lately.



No comments:

Post a Comment